How Emotional Intelligence Can Help Manage Stress
Reducing bias is an important component of emotional intelligence, as bias can contribute to feelings of stress, anxiety, and tension. Here are six strategies to reduce bias and manage stress through emotional intelligence:
1. Increase self-awareness: The first step in developing emotional intelligence is to increase your self-awareness. This can involve taking time to reflect on your emotions, recognizing your triggers and stressors, and identifying your biases and assumptions. Keep in mind that we all have biases and they are typically unconscious.
2. Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness involves paying attention to what's happening to you in the present without judgment. Far to often our minds drift to the past or what we need to do in the future. This impedes our ability to live and appreciate the moment. Practicing mindfulness helps to manage stress by reducing negative thinking and promoting a sense of calm and relaxation.
4. Develop empathy: Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. Developing empathy can help you reduce bias by helping you to see things from a different perspective and to better understand the experiences and perspectives of others. This can involve listening actively, showing compassion and understanding, and seeking new and fresh perspectives.
5. Engage in positive self-talk: Positive self-talk involves using positive affirmations and self-talk to promote a sense of well-being and self-esteem. According to research by the American Psychological Association, "talking to yourself in a positive way is actually very healthy for your psyche." Engaging in positive self-talk can help you manage stress by reducing negative thoughts and promoting a more positive mindset.
6. Seek out support: Lastly, developing emotional intelligence and reducing bias can be challenging. Over 80 percent of those who work with a certified EQ coach experience results. Even talking to a trusted friend or family member, who will listen and provide support, can be extremely beneficial.